GLADIUS Remote Controlled Weapon Station
GLADIUS is a remote-controlled weapon station (RCWS) suitable for both land and naval applications and designed to be installed on wheeled/tracked light armored vehicles (LAV), ships or stationary platforms. It enables the operator to monitor the vehicle (platform) perimeter, detect various types of land or air targets (e.g. helicopters, UAVs etc.) and fire at them from the operator terminal inside the vehicle (platform).
GLADIUS is a modular concept which allows the integration of 7.62 – 12.7 mm machine guns and 30 – 40 mm grenade launchers (both NATO and Eastern standards). Other weapon systems, such as Spike guided anti-tank missiles, may also be integrated into this weapon station upon request. GLADIUS DUAL can be simultaneously mounted with more than one weapon. For example, the combination of a 7.62 mm coaxial machine gun and a 12.7 mm heavy machine gun may be used.
The multiple-axis design allows the operator to keep his sights on target, independent of ballistic corrections for the weapon and ammunition in use. Reconnaisance, aiming and firing tasks are performed using a modular multi-sensor electro-optical system which comprises a day camera, thermal imaging (night) camera, laser rangefinder and, optionally, an additional aiming camera.
The gunner operates the weapon station from an operator terminal comprising the following basic units with optional intelligent tracking:
- operator screen,
- operator control panel,
- control handles.
- three (2+1) independent stabilized axes in azimuth and elevation for the weapon system and a super elevation electro optical system;
- electro-optical system consisting of a FULL HD day camera, thermal imaging (night) camera with VGA or HD resolution, laser rangefinder and aiming camera (optionally). Video data in compliance with DEF-STAN-00-82 may be further distributed within the vehicle (platform);
- advanced modular SW;
- GLADIUS DUAL can be mounted with two weapons at the same time;
- optional integration of further protection systems such as a laser and radar irradiation detection system in combination with smoke grenade launchers;
- optional integration of Level 2 ballistic protection;
- optional manual weapon operation.
Key advantages of GLADIUS include the fact that the choice of weapon system and sensors may be individually modified to suit the needs and requirements of the customer.